"Sometimes adventure calls and we ignore it. We miss the opportunity for a lifetime of memories. Go ahead, be adventurous" ~Maria Villanueva

July 30, 2010

Pink Jewelry Box

For my Pink Saturday post I'm going to share a tutorial of a box I made a while back. It's going to be a gift to one of my teenage nieces but it's only part of what I want to give her. I also want to make some jewelry pieces to go with it.

I love art and music but I can't draw and I don't know how to play any instrument and if you heard me sing........well, let's just leave it at that.   Although I'm a very passionate person, I'm very limited in my artistic abilities.  Thank goodness I have bloggie friends who are very talented and allow me to use their artwork in my crafty endeavors.  One such friend is Calej, of Calej D' Art, whom I met through Cindy at I Owe It All To Him.  Visit Calej's blog, you are going to love her drawings and her other creations.

Here's what the box will look like when finished:

Here's what you'll need: a wooden box from Michael's (they're only about three dollars), scissors to cut out your pictures, acrylic paint, painter's tape, a picture, a saying printed from your computer, sanding square.



First, sand the box so that it's nice and smooth.  Paint your overall color, mine is pink:

Give it a couple of coats letting it dry in between.  Next, use painter's tape to block off stripes on the box for your design.  At this point, PAINT IT YOUR BASE COLOR AGAIN OVER THE PAINTER'S TAPE.  This will give you nice crisp lines.  Sorry, I don't have a picture of this step that's why I capitalized it so you don't miss it.
After you paint it your base color over the painter's tape, paint your stripes (mine will be black)


Next, remove the tape

You can touch up any areas that need it.

I then cut out Calej's drawing and a saying I printed from my computer using Microsoft Word and taped them to a piece of scrapbook paper.  Place underneath the glass and insert back in the box:
 And the final box:
For my Pink Saturday challenge, I'd like to mention my new bloggy friend Sandie of Chatty Crone.  She is also a Pink Saturday participant and joins in from time to time.  Visit her blog, she will make you smile and she will make you laugh and she will also inspire you with her posts.   

If you want to see other Pink Saturday Posts, visit Beverly at How Sweet The Sound and you won't be disappointed.





17 comments:

  1. HAPPY PINK SATURDAY MARIA,
    AWESOME TUTORIAL...YOU MADE IT SOUND SO EASY. HOW BLESSED YOUR NIECE WILL BE.
    I AM GLAD YOU FEATURED SANDIE. SHE IS VERY FUNNY AND SOMETIMES DOESN'T REALIZE HOW SPECIAL SHE IS.
    YOU ARE QUITE FUNNY YOURSELF. I LOOKED BACK OVER YOUR POSTS AND I HAVE BEEN MISSING ALOT. YOU ARE VERY TALENTED AND WHEN I SING....JESUS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO APPRECIATES THE JOYFUL NOISE.
    HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria!
    How beautiful! And what a clever way that you painted it!!! Your camping trip looked awesome too--I'm glad you had a good time!! How neat!
    And what a fun time for everyone...
    Can't wait to see your word!
    Hugs,
    Cindy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea!
    the box turn out lovely!
    I like your new look by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! your art is wonderful! thanks for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Maria,
    You ARE artistis! That box looks lovely! I am sure your neice will love it!
    I am so glad I joined Pink Saturday. I am having so much fun visiting all the different bloggers and their postings.
    Thanks for visiting and come back again!
    Warm hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria and happy P.S. I just love the pink box, and that is not hard to make at all..thank you for sharing..
    Have a blessed weekend!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so cute and sweet. you could really go to town personalizing it! i am craft-challenged so i need projects that don't require much skill or talent! lol... but we love Michaels and we love doing things together and I think we could do something with this. we just came back from the beach and we are going to Michaels today to find some things to do with all the seashells we brought backs. I think we could work them into this project! thanks for sharing! -April

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely box Maria. I know your neice is going to adore it. Especially if it comes with jewelry :D

    The next time I visit the US I, of course, will visit Michaels, and I'll get quite a few of those boxes. Thanks for the ideas :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. G'eve, Maria ~ What a darling creation! That duct tape is more useful than thought.

    Glad you had a great trip ...
    Have a lovely PINK summer's eve ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness - I am with you - I can't sing - and when I do - I can't remember the melody and I get everyone else confused!

    Loved your 'pink box'. Where do you get the ideas? I am sure your niece will love it.

    Thanks for commenting about my blog - that was very sweet of you.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. how darling and creative!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maria,

    That is a wonderful project.

    I came over to tell you I received an award this morning and part of it was to pass it along. I have included you in the pass along.

    Come see and post if you choose to accept:

    http://modistamodesta.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an award for you on my blog. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the black/pink stripes. This kind of craft is so nice to give and I know your niece will really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing the great photos of the process. I need lots of help when it comes to the steps of crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Maria!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, "Inspire!" I'm following you as well. Keep up your nice blog!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love it. Happy belated Pink Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails